The Company is aware that a number of shareholders have received unsolicited phone calls or correspondence concerning investment matters. Calls are typically from people stating they are ‘brokers’ based overseas and they offer to sell the investor’s shares at apparently inflated prices.
Shareholders are advised to be very wary of any advice they have not specifically asked for, unsolicited offers to manage or sell their shares, offers to buy shares at a discount or offers of free company reports.
Operations to sell what often turn out to be worthless or high risk shares are commonly known as ‘boiler rooms’. These 'brokers' can be very persistent and extremely persuasive and it is not just the novice investor that has been duped in this way; many of the victims have been successfully investing for several years.
If you receive any unsolicited investment advice:
- Make sure you get the correct name of the person and organisation;
- Check an investment that you have been contacted about by using the form below;
- Check that they are properly authorised by the FCA before getting involved by visiting the FCA register;
- Report the matter to the FCA by calling 0800 111 6768 or by completing the
FCA Share Fraud Reporting form;
- Inform the company’s registrar Computershare on 0870 702 0127 or via www.investorcentre.co.uk/contactus (select boiler room scams under the FAQs);
- Do not provide any personal details e.g. bank details or full registered address;
- Do not send your share certificate(s) to anyone; and
- If the calls persist, hang up.
The FCA also maintains on its website a list of unauthorised overseas firms who have targeted UK investors. If you deal with an unauthorised firm, you will not be eligible to receive payment under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
Details of any share dealing facilities that Ladbrokes Coral Group plc endorses will be included in company mailings.
More detailed information on boiler room scams or similar activity can be found on the FCA website.
Check an investment you’ve been offered, and avoid scams.